Friday, April 22, 2011

Chocolate Malts

Growing up in our family household a popular question was, "Can I have a midnight snack?" A midnight snack was actually at about 8pm before bed and usually consisted of a chocolate malt. My dad would bring out thehershey's chocolate syrup and Bryer's vanilla ice cream and stirred up a delicious concoction. Midnight snacks weren't just about going to bed on a full tummy, it was a comfort food that brought smiles, pleasure and comfort.

For the past 2 years I've worked the night shift as a nurse. I find it a special honor to tuck in my patients before bed and being there for them throughout the night. Early on in my career, I had a patient ask me, "can I have a snack before bed?" Looking at his frail body, I said, "Of course! What would you like?" He smiled and said, "I could really go for a chocolate malt, but I'm sure you only have saltines or something like that." Reminiscing on the comfort and pleasure I experienced from the chocolate malt during my childhood and then looking at this terminally ill patient, I just couldn't say no. Using some creativeness, I mixed up vanilla ice cream, milk and hot chocolate powder and then sat with the patient while he savored the malt. When he finished he said with a smile, "that just made my day." All I could think was that measly chocolate malt made your day? Leaving his room, I realized it was so much more than the malt that brought him such pleasure; it was the fact that I showed him I cared, that I was there for him and wanted to comfort him...the same reasons why my dad's chocolate malts were so special to me.

Ever since this one experience, I have made dozens (if not a hundred) chocolate malts for patients, and they always seem to bring the same response. I've realized there are small, special moments in life that bring an incredibly lasting and loving impression. Whether it is taking the time to do something nice, or learning someone's name or simply making someone a chocolate malt, I've found these little things can make such an incredibly huge difference.

*************************************
During my second year of nursing school our professor gave us a quiz. I breezed through the questions until I read the last one: "What is the first name of the woman who cleans the school?" Surely this was a joke. I had seen the cleaning woman several times, but how would I know her name? I handed in my paper, leaving the last question blank. Before the class ended, one student asked if the last question would count toward our grade. "Absolutely," the professor said. "In your careers, you will meet many people. All are significant. They deserve your attention and care, even if all you do is smile and say hello." I've never forgotten that lesson. I also learned her name was Dorothy. ~Joann C. Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment