Friday, April 1, 2011

Pet Therapy


I've always loved animals.  Some people find relaxation in taking warm baths, watching a movie or reading a good book; I am utterly relaxed by the presence of animals.  They have an innate ability to read emotions, tend to needs and love unconditionally.  I have to thank my parents for supporting this love; growing up I had not only three cats and a dog but a bird, lizard, numerous hamsters and fish (all spread out through 18 years, of course).   When Braydon and I got Bear I knew from the moment he first cuddled into my lap that he too would provide me with a sense of tranquility and refreshment.  Last fall this feeling was confirmed when Bear spent hours sleeping and cuddling on Braydon's 91-year-old grandfather's lap.  I will never forget the gentleness and intention Bear shared with his grandfather.  I am convinced animals have a special sense for people's emotional and physical and needs.  The way they will come to you and just be present can feel almost spiritual.  I am convinced God has blessed mankind with animals as a gift and reminder of life's simplicities and beauties.

After our wedding I decided to enroll Bear in pet therapy opportunities.  During the past three months we have made several visits to a women's Alzheimer's home in Minneapolis.  Every visit I am utterly amazed how the women respond when Bear cuddles up to them.  Bear can be absolutely crazy and energized prior to our visits and the moment we walk into the Alzheimer's home he innately realizes the need to settle down.  The first time I placed Bear in the lap of a specific resident at the home, she looked up with a full smile and shed a small tear.  She was unable to verbalize her feelings but Bear and I knew that  we had a special purpose sitting with the woman.  

Time and again, the story remains the same, Bear comes into the home and in an instant changes the atmosphere; from a quiet, solemn house to a home filled with smiles, tenderness and love.

*****************************************
"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role models for being alive."
-Gilda Radner (1946-1989)


No comments:

Post a Comment